Apprenticeships: Seminary Hill Farm
March 27-Oct. 2, 2015
Seminary Hill Farm is a certified organic farm in greater Columbus, Ohio, located on the campus of the Methodist Theological School in Ohio. We currently grow for our campus dining hall, CSA and local farmers’ markets. We grow in two passive solar hoop houses and 4.5 acres of field production.
Apprentices will participate in all of the aspects of day-to-day farm work, including but not limited to:
- Tractor work
- Drip irrigation
- CSA distribution
- Farmers’ market
Apprentices can expect to work 40-50 hours per week with some weekends and evening hours required. Apprentices will receive a weekly stipend, housing and food as outlined below:
- $185 per week stipend and an additional $25 per week bonus to be paid at the conclusion of the season.
- On-campus studio apartment including utilities, internet and cable (taxes apply).
- Free meals from the dining hall, when it is in operation (lunch), and a free CSA share during the course of the CSA.
These apprenticeships require an individual to be able to work long days, lift 50-plus pounds, and to kneel, bend and walk for extended periods of time.
If you are interested in beginning a rewarding career in small-scale agriculture, please send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Staff Position: Seminary Hill Farm and Events Coordinator
The mission of Seminary Hill Farm is to provide the campus dining hall, our catering service, surrounding local restaurants and our growing CSA with a healthy, locally grown organic product. MTSO seeks to connect the student body and its programs with a hands-on experience that will contribute to future community leaders’ commitment to local, sustainable agriculture and good food.
Location: Delaware, Ohio
Status: Full-time salaried, non-exempt
Reports to: Manager of Farm and Food
Job Summary: Responsible for CSA member communication, farm and events scheduling, commercial kitchen duties, expense and revenue tracking, hoop house work, transplanting, weed control, side-dressing and irrigation, harvest, washing and packing produce, transplanting and tending to strawberries and blueberries, attending farmers markets, pruning and trellising high tunnel tomatoes, and more. This position requires a high degree of flexibility. Job duties will vary with the season (farm) and the dining and catering service (spring and fall).
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized work environment.
- Develop a weekly CSA newsletter (seasonal).
- Track expenses and revenues, and report monthly to the Manager of Farm and Food.
- Assist in seeding, watering, harvesting and maintenance of two hoop houses, and farm under the direction of the Farm Supervisor and Manager.
- Assist in CSA member communication and distribution.
- Harvest tracking and documentation.
- Aid in kitchen work when applicable (prep work, front of house).
- Minimum one year of organic farming experience.
- Minimum two years organizational administrative assistance experience or combination of experience and education.
- Passion for local food and sustainable farming.
- Experience in a commercial kitchen atmosphere a plus.
- Social media management experience a plus.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- High degree of flexibility.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Ability to work long hours under time-sensitive demands
- Ability to lift 35-plus pounds.
- Ability to stand for 10-plus hours per day
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.