When opportunities to work with us at MTSO become available, they will be posted here.
Department: Business Office
Scope of Position: As the lead financial officer of Methodist Theological School in Ohio, the Controller provides the financial guidance required to ensure the implementation of the mission and philosophy of the school as established by its President and Board of Trustees. The Controller directs the School’s accounting operations, establishing best practices, procedures, controls and reporting systems. A member of the MTSO Administrative Council (executive board), the Controller is responsible for ensuring the integrity of the financial information presented to the Board of Trustees, including monitoring the school’s endowment and investment portfolio.
Qualifications: Baccalaureate degree in accounting or finance, MBA or CPA preferred. Minimally 2-3 years’ experience in general ledger and payroll with supervisory experience in a not-for-profit organization, preferably in higher education. Knowledge of accounting and spreadsheet software is required. Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge, Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and Crescendo software is a plus. Skill at managing and prioritizing multiple tasks. Ability to interact with colleagues at all levels of the institution and work flexibly within a nimble administrative culture.
Primary responsibilities and duties
- Working with the President, implement and manage the annual budgeting process, including review of indicators and forecasting.
- Maintain chart of accounts and related codes for processing financial data.
- Supervise Business Office staff responsible for handling student account billings, cash receipts, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger entries, and human resources/payroll.
- Maintain responsibility for general ledger management, including:
- Daily oversight of financial services matters and questions.
- Processing monthly departmental financial reports.
- Maintaining daily logs of available cash balances and initiating transfers.
- Reconciling bank accounts and other general ledger accounts.
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Maintaining proper documentation of financial activities of the school.
- Approval and inputting of general journal entries as needed.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports as requested by the Board of Trustees and the President, including related responsibilities:
- Interpret monthly financial operating reports, with summary of significant financial events to the Board of Trustees and Administrative Council.
- Prepare analytical financial information.
- Attend meetings of the Board of Trustees and relevant committees.
- Prepare year-end 1098-Ts.
- Supervise the processing of payroll, including securing master file data. Calculate salary information by applying current personnel policies. Verify data accuracy, and prepare data utilizing ADP software.
- Supervise the implementation of annual changes for employee salaries/benefits as transmitted on annual salary letters from President. Serve as plan administrator for 403(b) and 457 retirement plans, including working with auditor on ERISA compliance.
- Provide financial recommendations during annual benefits negotiation and renewal period. Prepare billing and payments for benefits, property and casualty, and all lines of insurance on a timely basis.
- Prepare and file Form 5500.
- Direct efforts of other Business Office staff, as needed, in preparation of annual audit and the 403B audit work, papers and schedules.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
- Comply with local, state, federal government, accrediting and other various agencies in preparing and/or filing required reports and surveys.
- Develop Procedures Manual for Controller’s position in the Business Office and ensure cross training where appropriate. Supervise the maintenance of manuals for other Business Office positions.
Benefits: MTSO offers generous benefits, including health care and retirement.
EEO: MTSO is an equal-opportunity employer. View the school's notice of nondiscrimination.
To apply: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. For questions, call Coordinator of Human Resources Erin Wiggins at 740-362-3366.