When opportunities to work with us at MTSO become available, they will be posted here.
Plant Based Chef
Dunn Dining Hall and Seminary Hill Farm
The mission of Seminary Hill Farm is to provide the campus dining hall, our catering service, surrounding local restaurants and our growing CSA with a healthy, locally grown organic product. MTSO seeks to connect the student body and its ecology and faith programs with a hands-on experience which will contribute to future community leaders' commitment to local, sustainable agriculture and good food.
Title: Plant Based Chef
Location: Delaware, Ohio
Status: Full Time Hourly, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Executive Chef
Job Summary: MTSO and Seminary Hill Farm are seeking an ambitious and highly motivated Plant-Based Chef to aid the Executive in our mission to provide a healthy, locally sourced experience for our guests. The applicant must possess the knowledge to develop recipes and menus for a kitchen which prides itself in serving only hyper-local and seasonal products. The candidate should be flexible, highly motivated and modest enough to pitch in on cleaning, dish washing and general kitchen duties while possessing the leadership skills to develop creative, seasonal menus and delivering a first-class experience to the campus and our guests.
The kitchen currently operates three days per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) for regular dining service and caters for on-campus events (typically bi-weekly, weekend events). The kitchen operation follows the flow of campus. This means that during the spring and fall months we can be quite busy with food service and catering events, while summer months will be spent aiding in field production/food preservation on our 5-acre certified organic farm. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate who is passionate about local food and who possesses the knowledge and skills to aid in the development of an up-and-coming culinary experience in a campus setting.
- 2-3 years’ experience as a chef in a commercial kitchen
- Experience in developing scratch recipes and menus
- Vegan cuisine experience preferred
- Culinary education preferred
- Catering experience preferred
- Serve Safe Certified
- Ability to operate a kitchen in a fair, fun and humble environment
- Ability to operate a commercial kitchen in a clean and organized fashion
- Passion for local sustainable agriculture and seasonal menus
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Experience working with seasonal produce and proteins/vegan
- Food preservation
- Experience in food production/farming
- Attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to work long hours under time-sensitive demands
- Ability to lift 50-plus pounds
- Ability to stand for 10-plus hours per day
- High degree of schedule flexibility
Please send résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.