When opportunities to work with us at MTSO become available, they will be posted here.
Chef de Cuisine and General Manager
Dunn Dining Hall and Seminary Hill Farm at MTSO
The mission of Seminary Hill Farm is to provide the campus dining hall, our catering service, surrounding local restaurants and our growing CSA with a healthy, locally grown organic product. MTSO seeks to connect the student body and its ecology and faith programs with a hands-on experience which will contribute to future community leaders’ commitment to local, sustainable agriculture and good food.
Status: Full-time salaried, exempt
Reports to: Manager of Farm and Food
Job summary: MTSO and Seminary Hill Farm are seeking an ambitious and highly motivated Chef de Cuisine and General Manager to lead the kitchen to culinary excellence. This is a hands-on position which requires attention to detail and the experience/knowledge to develop recipes and menus for a kitchen which prides itself in serving hyper-local and seasonal products. This position requires a candidate who is able to operate with autonomy while managing all aspects of a commercial kitchen. The candidate should be flexible, highly motivated and modest enough to pitch in on cleaning, dish washing and general kitchen duties while possessing the leadership skills to develop creative, seasonal menus and deliver a first-class experience to the customer.
The kitchen currently operates three days per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) for regular dining service and caters for on-campus events (typically bi-weekly weekend events). The kitchen operation follows the flow of campus. During the spring and fall months, we can be quite busy with food service and catering events, while summer months will be spent aiding in field production on our 10-acre certified organic farm. We would also like to develop farm dinners for our CSA members and the surrounding community. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate who is passionate about local food and who possesses the knowledge and skills to develop an up-and-coming culinary experience in a campus setting.
- 1-2 years’ experience as Executive or GM
- Experience in developing scratch recipes and menus
- Culinary education preferred
- Experience in training staff
- Catering experience preferred
- Serve Safe Certified
- Ability to operate a kitchen in a fair, fun and humble environment
- Ability to operate a commercial kitchen in a clean and organized fashion
- Passion for local sustainable agriculture and seasonal menus
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
Desired skills and abilities
- Experience working with seasonal produce and proteins
- Preserving seasonal products to be used in the winter months
- HACCP plan development
- Experience in food production
- Foraging for seasonal ingredients
- Attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to work long hours under time-sensitive demands
- Ability to lift 50-plus pounds
- Ability to stand for 10-plus hours per day
- High degree of schedule flexibility
Please send résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.