Student Complaint Policy

The MTSO Academic Catalog and Student Handbook describes processes for addressing student concerns related to the following matters:

  • Redress of issues related to student performance - see Faculty comments on student performance
  • Redress of unfair course grading - see Grade changes and appeals
  • Redress of dismissal or suspension for reasons of academic misconduct - see Academic misconduct disciplinary review process

Furthermore, each of the following institutional policies contains specific information for reporting complaints or grievances:

If a satisfactory resolution is not achieved through these processes, students may file a formal written complaint with the institution. Any written expression of dissatisfaction from a currently enrolled student that is addressed and delivered to one of the following agents of Methodist Theological School in Ohio: president, human resources coordinator, or dean and vice president of academic affairs, shall be considered a formal complaint and logged accordingly. The complaint must be signed by the complaining party and must include a return address for the complaining party. While the complaint can be delivered to any of the agents listed above, the final, official log of student complaints will be housed in the office of the human resources coordinator. Information about lodged complaints must be shared with an evaluation team from the Higher Learning Commission at the time of a regularly scheduled comprehensive visit. However, individual identities will be shielded unless prior approval has been obtained from the individual(s) involved.

Finally, if an issue cannot be resolved by MTSO’s internal processes described above, students may choose to file a complaint with the appropriate party below:

  • The Association of Theological Schools (ATS): The Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools has a policy regarding complaints against member schools (see Policies and Procedures IX). Please note that complaints must be filed in writing and must provide evidence that the member school is in violation of a stated policy or accrediting standard or a membership criterion. For more information, contact or call 412-788-6505. See The Association of Theological Schools (
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC): The complaint process is designed to identify substantive problems with an institution’s ability to meet the Criteria for Accreditation or other HLC requirements. HLC’s policy on complaints provides a full description of the type of complaints that HLC will review. See File a Complaint | Students-Communities (
  • Ohio Department of Higher Education: The Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) is responsible for responding to formal complaints against public, independent non-profit and proprietary institutions of higher education in Ohio. See Student Complaint Information | The Ohio Department of Higher Education.
  • United States Department of Education: Colleges and universities operate independently, although they have some state supervision. If you have complaints against a postsecondary institution contact the state department of higher education for help with resolving the complaint. For issues about financial aid, fraud, waste or abuse of federal funds, special education or civil rights contact the U.S. Department of Education. Listed below is contact information for these issues:
  • Office of the Inspector General investigates fraud, waste or abuse of federal educational funds, including federal student aid funds.
  • Federal Student Aid's Ombudsman will help resolve issues regarding student loan complaints, by working with you and the lender.
  • Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces several Federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance from the Department of Education. You may contact OCR at 1(800) 421-3481 or locate the enforcement office that serves your state or territory.